(That is the first photo of my cardflipping career, by Craig Gibson, featuring a swarm of Wild Sentinels, of course.)
I like to click on random WordPress postings, and I stumbled upon a fabulous meme this morning. Thursday Thirteens are weekly lists on blogs that help us all connect and I want to play, especially since this is the one I found first: http://nancybond.blogspot.com/2007/11/thursday-thirteen-45.html
Now my turn.
Thirteen Things I Love About My Life.
1. Nina’s sense of humor. The girl taught me how to laugh, and saved my soul in the process. We practice every single day.
2. The lack of fear I have toward death. I honestly have never worried about it. I don’t know how or why, but I am perfectly confident and content concerning the afterlife.
3. I was born into a very cool family. And my babies turned out cool too! Teaching in the big city has taught me how truly awful people can be, especially to the ones they are related to. I am very fortunate and I count my blessings every day.
4. I get to write for Upper Deck every Monday. This one makes me pinch myself. Whether it was luck or hard work or the perfect combination of both, I pulled it off and it really makes me happy.
5. Superheroes are getting more popular with every movie. We have been grooving on colorful spandex-clad mutants for years, now everyone is digging the myths with us.
6. I still cry for love and beauty. Life touches me, and I am alive. Granted, I am much more numb than usual… but the light is still on.
7. Dade Public Schools has amazing retirement benefits. And I am only six years away from 30 years of service. And the years are flying by like clouds.
8. The NHL Network broadcasts hockey 24 hours a day. Last night our Panthers won a thriller in their second consecutive shootout, and it was replayed three minutes later on the national feed. Life has never been this good.
9. Everything I experience is symbolic when I need it to be. Somehow I have learned to self-maintain the balance of my soul by turning one thing into another. It is a very enriching way to be.
10. My relationship with Nina is the best example of perfect human partnership that we have ever heard of. We have the same tastes in nearly everything. We can talk about anything. We still discover new states of being when we get naked. We got lucky, and we work hard to keep it going this well, but damn we are good.
11. I get to drive a brand new Mini Cooper. It took a long time, but I finally got my money in order to the point that I will never have to worry about car problems again. Her name is Betty, and she is the best vehicle in the world.
12. I can let go of the things that threaten to make me worry and feel guilty. That, my friends, is the most important mental skill there is. Figure out how it works and do it all the time.
13. I have enough free time to write this blog. William Gibson said something about individual immortality through a display of personality in cyberspace or something. I don’t want to live forever, but I sure enjoy documenting my Self here on the interwebs.
Thanks for listening, now do your own Thursday Thirteen and link it here: http://thursdaythirteen.com/