(Our neighbor the osprey, with mullet for lunch, from http://vivanickdrake.deviantart.com/)
Life is full of simple pleasures, and these are thirteen of mine.
- A good hot bath. When I was a kid, on a very cold day, my body learned the bliss of total physical pleasure. All from a simple tub of hot water. I have spent the rest of my life following that bliss.
- Passing someone in the car on the highway. There is a sweet sense of power that can only be achieved by pressing the pedal to the floor.
- Sneezing. I know some people don’t appreciate the loss of control inherent in the involuntary clearing of the nasal passages, but it is the closest thing to an orgasm for a reason.
- Saying “I love you.” I do it as often as possible, to as many people as I can. And I mean it every time. Luckily, as a teacher, I have a captive audience.
- Collecting cards. No matter how bleak the world of people and their politics gets, I can always picture my current cardboard obsessions in my mind and turn the corners of my mouth upward into a smile.
- Telling a good story. My life is like a scene from Pulp Fiction, quite often. I really enjoy the memories that my days have created… especially when I get to share them with new friends.
- Crying at a scene from a favorite film that I have already seen at least sixty times. It just happened again last night with Love Actually, actually.
- Laughing until we cannot breathe. Nina is really good at this. Sometimes she causes it, and sometimes she gets swept up in it. Last week we did it during a hockey party, with everyone in the house doubled up in knots on the floor, and we all missed a penalty shot! Good times.
- Getting home from work and shedding the clothes. A sense of relief and freedom that happens Monday through Friday.
- Watching the ospreys fishing in the lake. Birds of prey are simply amazing creatures.
- Realizing how insanely detailed the human organism is. Imagine trying to build a machine that could decide to reach into your pocket and feel around for a specific object, and then pull it out without anyone seeing you do it.
- Paying bills online. Of course that is predicated on having enough money to pay them. Lately we have been just barely making it, but it feels real good when I have everything covered.
- Comments on the blog! It may be a bit impersonal, but that does not detract from the fact that there is one big community out there sharing lives with each other. And that includes you and me. I love you. Thanks for stopping by.
(And make sure you visit http://thursdaythirteen.com/ to get involved in the party.)