This week’s Thursday Thirteen is especially dear to me, since I have the honor of writing weekly articles about humanity’s modern myths. Yes, I am talking about comic book superheroes and villains. When I took a stroll through this past year’s archives, I only got as far back as May before I had 13 favorites. I absolutely love my job. I also adore the fact that I figured out how to make proper links so you can click on the name of the character for the full story. Good times ahead in 2008, click away!
1. Madelyne Pryor. The girl is red hot, in more ways than one.
2. Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu. Two all-time favorite bad guys, one with giant tentacles.
3. Mad Hatter. Did you know that the term “mad as a hatter” came from historical mercury poisoning?
4. Poison Ivy. Her college professor seduced her and used her for his experiments.
5. Kim Hoshi as Dr. Light. We should all be so shiny. She is really good in the game, fueling the best team attack tricks since Teen Titans.
6. Ghost Rider. My head was burning at the time, I actually wrote the article on my phone by the pool.
7. Domino. Another experiment gone bad, but she gets lucky. High contrast beauty to the extreme.
8. Cable. Since he bodyslides in and out of time, he has more different outfits than anyone in comics. Maddie is his mom and tried to kill him to take over the world.
9. Indigo. This one was totally new to me, and I totally fell in love. She is dying in the pic at the top of this list.
10. Slapstick. The article is all about comic book clowns, and this guy had his molecules spread out over 3,714 dimensions before he became a cartoon.
11. Destroyer. A metal suit of armor that houses the souls of the gods. Cool as hell.
12. Lana Lang. I knew her from Smallville, but she can turn into any kind of insect with her magic ring?
13. Sea Creatures. They don’t follow Aquaman because it is their duty, they do it for love.
I could write three pages about each one, but I already did! Enjoy the links and their rich modern mythology. Then write your own Thursday Thirteen and link it here. Have a deeply satisfying 2008. I know I will, with the help of the comic books and Vs. System.