That is Barack and Michelle Obama, with their two beautiful daughters. I apologize in advance to anyone who has a different view of politics, but I need to gush today about the hope I have for our country at this transcendant moment in American history.
1. Barack Obama embodies the “American dream” in ways that usually only get exposed in fiction.
2. He had a black father from Africa and a white mother from Kansas.
3. His father left when he was two years old.
4. His mother raised him to participate in the world, changing his community for the better, and he was always an inspirational leader to the kids around him.
5. For a while, the family was on food stamps.
6. He struggled against the racism of the times, just like the rest of us. He was born almost exactly one month after me, in 1961.
7. His father died in 1982, in an automobile accident.
8. His mother died in 1995, of cancer.
9. He worked his way through college, graduating from Columbia University and Harvard Law School.
10. He became a United States Senator.
11. He decided to run for president, against all odds.
12. He inspired a huge movement in America, most of it arising on the interwebs and then spilling out into the actual cities of each and every state. His background as a community organizer taught him that people are willing and able to build America back up from the ground floor. He currently has over 1.5 million individual financial supporters, with an average donation of $96 each.
13. He is on the verge of winning the nomination of the Democratic Party, and proving that nothing is impossible in America. He has started a New Voter Registration Drive in all 50 States, which we will be attending this Saturday. He gives me real hope for the future, and I thank you for allowing me to share my excitement for this historical moment with you today. No matter what your political perspective, it is a glorious time to be an American.