News of the Squirrel, Powerblaze Edition. As reported by KOCO Channel 5 in Oklahoma City:
JONES, Okla. — A squirrel caught fire, sparking a blaze Wednesday morning that resulted in the evacuation of an elementary school in Jones, fire officials said.
Investigators said the squirrel touched two power lines at the same time and fell to the ground near Britton and Hiawassee roads.
That fire burned 5 acres in the Jones area, forcing the evacuation of the elementary school. Those students were taken to Jones High School.
School officials said the students would be kept at the high school for the rest of the day. Parents will be able to pick them up at the normal time, although some parents have already come to the school to pick up kids.
Several trailers burned in the fire. However, there were no known reports of injuries.
Knowing how good those little tree rodents are at running the wires, I have to wonder whether this was intentional. What a way to go. Mad props to the famous flaming squirrel, no matter the motive.